Tom Matthew – Summary Profile
Over 25 years experience working in transport and economic development across Scotland and the UK, both in consultancy and with the public sector. Particular expertise in the economic impacts of transport infrastructure and services, and of regional aviation in particular, plus wider knowledge of key sectors of the economy, notably life sciences, renewables, tourism and professional services.
Recent Employment and Education
2004-Present: Reference Economic Consultants – Director and Associate of Northpoint Aviation Services
2001-2004: Highlands & Islands Enterprise – Transport Development Manager
1993-2001: EKOS Economic Consultants – Co-Founder and Director
1983-1987: University of Glasgow – M.A. (Hons) Social Sciences – First Class
Key Skills and Knowledge
- High developed understanding of the wider economic contribution of airports and air services.
- Economic impact assessment – delivered a wide range of studies in Scotland through research frameworks since 2006, including recent major submission for the Inverness City Deal.
- Member of consortia on five other current Scottish public sector research frameworks-including aviation, sectoral studies, project evaluation, economic research and intelligence, transport.
- Up to date knowledge of the main sectors of the UK economy, including identified growth sectors.
- Options appraisal, including Scottish Transport Appraisal (STAG) studies.
- Designing, undertaking and analysing stakeholder consultations, including both quantitative and qualitative data. Specialises in interviews with businesses about current and future use of air services.
- Sound understanding of surface modes, based on specific road, rail and sea studies, and how these complement air travel.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication.
Selected Consultancy Experience:
Airports and Air Services
Consultations with Businesses and Business Organisations Regarding Enhancements to UK Air Routes from Cardiff Airport Client: Welsh Government
Demand Forecasting, Economic Analysis and Exploring Extending the Aircraft Size and Operating Hours at Anglesey Airport Client: Welsh Government
Appraisal of Impact of Potential Changes to APD Client: Welsh Government
Costed and Legally Compliant Business and Economic Case for Extending Air Passenger Discount Scheme to Business Travellers Client: Highlands and Islands Transport Partnership (HITRANS)
Inverness Airport: Online Survey of Businesses and Households Client: Highlands and Islands Airports Limited (HIAL)
Inverness Airport: Depth Interviews with Business on Air Travel Needs Client: HIAL
Research Into Business Demand for an Inverness-Norway Air Service Client: HIAL
Isle of Skye Air Services Research Client: Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE)
Future Air Connectivity Requirements for Growth Sectors & Businesses Client: HIE
Research Into Potential International PSO Air Service Client: Confidential
Inverness Airport: Depth Survey of Business Air Travel Needs Client: HIAL
National Connectivity Task Force: Inbound Tourism Work Package Client: National Connectivity Task Force
Economic Impacts of Inverness Air Routes Client: HIAL
Aberdeen-Stornoway Air Service Research Client: HIE
Dundee Airport Scoping Study Client: Transport Scotland
Public Consultations on Future Development of Internal Air Services Clients: Orkney Islands Council/Shetland Islands Council
Regional Air Services Development Study Client: HITRANS
Inverness Airport Passenger Surveys Client: HIAL
Assessment of Potential Demand for Enhanced Glasgow-Campbeltown Air Services Client: Kintyre Development Limited
Potential Demand and Economic Impacts of New “Thin” Air Routes In the Highlands & Islands Client: HIE
Potential Development of MRO at Inverness Airport Business Park Client: HIE
Economic Impact of Inverness Airport Clients: HIAL/HIE
Air Freight Study and Options for Market Development Clients: HIAL/HITRANS
On-Site, Off-Site and Catalytic Impacts of Newquay Cornwall Airport Client: Cornwall County Council
Economic Inputs to Inverness Airport Masterplan Client: HIAL
Economic Inputs to Newquay Cornwall Airport Masterplan Client: Cornwall County Council
Economic Impacts of Newcastle and Durham Tees Valley Airports Client: One North East
Economic Impacts of Potential New Air Routes Client: One North East
London Air Services Economic Research Client: HIE
Inverness-Heathrow Air Service Economic Research Client: HIE
Economic Impact of Scottish Aerospace Sector Client: Scottish Enterprise nGrowth Sectors
Transport Options Appraisals
Western Isles Air Services-Review and Options Appraisal Client: Comhairle nan Eilean
Development of Oban Air Services Client: HITRANS
Longer Term Options for Kerrera Ferry Service Client: Transport Scotland
Development of Ferry Services out of Oban Client: HITRANS
North Uist and Harris Ferry Services Development Study Client: HITRANS