Steve Gardner – Summary Profile
Education and Training
- ACI – Carbon Management Accreditation Course
- Project Management Prince 2 Practitioner qualified.
- Graduate of the City & Guilds Institute in Leadership and Management (GCGI).
- NVQ Level 4 in Management via the Institute of Leadership and Management.
- NEBS Introductory Diploma in Management.
- IOSH Health & Safety (Managing Safely) Qualified.
- First-aid and fire trained.
Northpoint Aviation – Associate (Jan 2013 – present)
Part time role as advisor to Northpoint Aviation on:
- military and airside control zone development projects
- Carbon management and accreditation
- Aircraft teardown and recycling
Provided advice on RAF Leuchars for Dundee study and is nominated military liaison for potential project on Brize Norton. Responsible for NQY carbon reduction strategy and is fully ACI accredited. Work with Apple Aviation to develop their operation at NQY has given him direct in-depth practical experience of the issues associated with starting, funding and running aircraft teardown operations.
Cornwall Airport Ltd – Buildings and Projects Manager (March 2009 – present)
Project manager role working for Cornwall Airport Ltd as part of the airport development team. Broad ranging remit includes airport operational and development design, project feasibility and costing and construction management. Projects have included:
- Coordination role with the UKSAR Hangar Project
- 404 Hangar Refurbishment Project for Classic Flight’s move to Newquay
- Terminal enhancement projects including business lounge development, landside Café refurbishment, airside shop, generator building conversion and letting.
- Preparatory works to HAS buildings prior to tenant occupation.
- Project liaison for Bloodhound Engine Testing project, Airport Solar Farm, Green Car Race Day, Cornwall Air Ambulance HQ development and Westland Helicopter facility.
- Project lead on Airport Academy, Weston Aviation FBO facility and refurbishment of Old Control Tower
- Project lead for Apple Aviation and GA hangar projects
- Took the lead in developing the airports asset register
- Carbon Project Manager for Airport – now professionally accredited and has secured third stage accreditation for airport
- Visitor and Schools liaison and airport guide
Mansell Construction – Site Manager (Oct 2007 – Jan 2009)
Appointed Construction Site Manager on a busy and complicated airport construction project, requiring management of a variety of project elements (eg security fencing, airside roadways, generators and bat roosts) during online operations and close liaison with Client Managers, RAF and regulatory authorities.
Royal Air Force (Oct 1977 – Oct 2007)
- Promoted to Warrant Officer. Acted as the RAF Liaison Officer to the Newquay Airport Transition project.
- Return to RAF St Mawgan Principal Flight Operations Manager responsible for overall management, deployment, career guidance and development of up to 52 Flight Operations Assistants on base and the 6 RAF Search and Rescue centres around the UK. RAF Valley, Boulmer, Leconfield, Lossiemouth, Wattisham and Chivenor.
- Advanced to Flight Sergeant. RAF Lyneham. 2 years’ experience as Computer Systems Manager leading a small team of systems and software developers on both transport aircraft (C130J Hercules) and ground secure computer systems.
- February 1995 – Return to UK. Flight Operations Manager ATC RAF St Mawgan.
- Posted to Gibraltar where, after 2 years, planned and managed the transition from military to civil operations in the ATC and operations departments in October 1994.
- Air Traffic Controller training course in 1991.
- Many and varied posts in ATC/area radar and Aircraft operations management including management and training programmes both in UK and abroad.
- March 1982 – Selected for aircrew training course. Attended aircrew course at RAF Finningley. Was found unfit for further flying duties due to mild hay fever and reverted back to AATC in October 1982.
- Assistant Air Traffic Controller. Posted to RAF Kinloss (Morayshire) after training.
Altogether in a 30-year career, 18 years managerial experience with RAF in varying roles at home and abroad.